Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Linux Update: Mandriva 2006

Well, what with this unanticipated accession of free time, I gone and done it yesterday. Installed Mandriva Linux 2006 on my IBM ThinkPad.

And it worked very nicely, too: I was surprised, after some of the horror stories I'd read out there. It worked very nicely, until I tried to remove a resource hog desktop search tool called Kat. I removed it, all right; and messed up the system in the process.

So I got up early this morning, and reinstalled everything from scratch. Give me a few more hours here, and I'll be right back to the perfected Mandriva 2006 install I had yesterday evening. Right before I removed that desktop search tool.

In the meanwhile, a first: I am posting to my blog this morning from the Lynx browser. :-)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What model Thinkpad do you have?
Have you ever tried Debian or Fluxbuntu (fluxbuntu.org)?

Monday, February 19, 2007 6:05:00 PM  
Blogger Paul Burgess said...

Rick, it's a T20. Pentium III, 700 MHz. 12-gig hard drive. I did add some RAM, bringing that up to a total of 384 megs.

From the vantage point of February 2007, I'm probably going to be installing Mandriva 2007 some time soon. I've considered Ubuntu, but it comes down to a matter of practical considerations: when I first switched to Linux 3½ years ago (Mandrake 9.1), I had a second ThinkPad running under Windows which I could fall back on while I tackled the Linux learning curve. Now the T20 is all I've got, and I depend on it heavily day by day for work as well as personal use. So I've got to stick with what I know— at this point I could restore my custom settings on a new Mandriva install almost in my sleep— until the next time I get a newer ThinkPad.

Though I am very, very tempted by Ubuntu.

I ought to look into Fluxbuntu. I am sold on Fluxbox, and even if I got a newer and more powerful computer, I would probably stick with Fluxbox in preference to KDE or GNOME.

Monday, February 19, 2007 7:23:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home