Sunday, April 22, 2007

Possibility #3

Back home from vacation, on which I discovered yet a third possibility for (not) blogging on vacation: I had Internet access, sort of, within limits; but I was just too exhausted. Just too wiped out. So I spent the week in real-world pursuits. Mostly just resting up, sleeping by night and taking naps by day.

Visited with my folks; my brother; and also my grandmother, who turned 102 a few weeks ago and is doing just fine, thank you.

At an antique mall I discovered a Samba set, with instructions: Samba is similar to Canasta, only played with three card decks instead of two. I wonder if there will ever again be a game craze over a classical game like Contract Bridge, Mah Jongg, or Canasta: somehow something in the culture no longer feels favorable to it. Nowadays a hundred flowers bloom, and conditions are no longer favorable to the blooming of a single rare blue flower.

I got new leather boots, to replace my old leather boots on which the soles were worn through and literally flopping loose: old leather boots too badly worn out to be worth resoling. Since I wear my leather boots something like seven days a week, getting a new pair was a necessity. Hope these new ones (Frye boots) will last me a good many years.

While I was at it, I also got some sandals. Birkenstocks. Yes, Birkenstocks. Now (with apologies to Rod Dreher) I am a genuine Birkenstocked Burkean crunchy con. ;-)

Oh, and another piece of fiction is in the pipeline. Soon. Maybe tomorrow. Surely by the end of the week. This one has been building in me for a long, long time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Richmond said...

Heh - I love my birks. Happy feet are a good thing. :-)

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 9:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home