Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Dental Odyssey

Back over in Madison yesterday on my day off. There I had a permanent crown placed on a molar, finishing some dental work I had done while I was on vacation a few weeks ago. And bringing to completion the dental odyssey which began two years ago, when I returned to the dentist for the first time in almost 20 years.

One crown, a few fillings, and a piece of bridgework later, my teeth have finally been brought up to speed and are in need of no further work at present. Of course, it warn't cheap: the dental work of these past two years comes to more than the price of my old used Jeep. But it is a relief to be able to chew food on either side of my mouth indifferently, and with due maintenance these teeth ought to stand me in good stead on into my old age.

Now the next task is to get me to go back to the doctor after 20 years. I dunno, a dentist can only do so much to you. Whereas with a doctor, it's always like, "Now, let's amputate your right arm, and see if that helps lower your blood hemocyte test numbers..."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

20 year!? And I thought I was bad...

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 9:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grandmother at 102 had to go to the hospital for a broken leg. Something about the dog. And a cat. Or maybe it was a chicken. But, really it was the kind of thing that could happen to anyone.

The nurse asked her what she was taking. "Nothing". "Really, I need to know EVERYTHING you're taking" "Nothing." "Not even aspirin?" "No." "Vitamins?" "No". "Are you sure?" Which was when she gave her The Look.

Then the doctor asked about her medical records, and the last time she had been to the doctor. She told him she couldn't exactly remember since it had been several decades ago. He looked at her, snorted, and said "Hrumph. Probably why you're still alive."

Then he set her leg, ordered some morphine in the IV, told her he'd have her discharged shortly. Unfortunately they didn't recognize a morphine-allergy and then tried to take care of the probelm with more morphine. She died.

Hmmmm. Didn't mean for that to be all depressing. And I'm not saying you're going to DIE if you go to the doctor. Lots of people go to the doctor every day and go home perfectly fine :)

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 2:12:00 PM  
Blogger Richmond said...

Well happy grinning!! (And chewing!) :-)

Tuesday, May 01, 2007 10:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home