Saturday, November 13, 2004

What in the World Have I Gone and Done Now?!

Registering to post a comment on somebody's blog, I seem to have accidentally created a blog of my own. Believe me, it was unintentional. Honestly.

I stumbled across the blogosphere entirely by accident two years ago, when a stray Google search landed me at Dean's World. I lurked for a couple of weeks, then started commenting, and I've been a regular commenter at Dean's World ever since. Also an occasional commenter on other blogs which are cyber-propinquitous thereto.

I also have a personal website, paulburgess.org, which in fact I've had now for several years.

But I've steadfastly resisted becoming a blogger. Until now. Like I say, honestly, it happened completely by accident! (And in case you're curious, said accident befell me on Caltechgirl's blog.)

So what shall I do now with this blog of mine? Every reason I ever had for not blogging still stands:
  1. I'm too busy, I don't have the time.

  2. I detest the angry, vindictive mud wrestling I see on some blogs.

  3. I dread becoming a slave to regular posting, so as to hang on to my audience.

  4. I don't have the time.

  5. I have no desire to become a magnet for the various wackos, psychos, and emotionally needy sad sacks I see on some blogs.

  6. I've always commented under my own name, and made no secret of who I am, where I live, or what my line of work is. I've sometimes wondered if this will one day come back to haunt me, and see no need to aggravate the situation via my own blog.

  7. I have a number of very colorful interests, but once we get past those (give it three or four months) either I run dry, or else I start repeating myself: either way, no thanks!

  8. My personal website gets a modest but fair amount of traffic, and it's nicely situated in Google (hey, I'm #1 in Google for a search on yellowstripes). I see no good reason to divide my energies.

  9. I've met a lot of great people and made some good friends in the blogosphere, but I don't know if I meet the entry requirements to be a blogger, since I fit in none of the following categories: (a) Libertarian; (b) Randian Objectivist; (c) vegetarian; (d) gay/lesbian; (e) Kevorkian right-to-die-er; (f) neo-pagan; (g) owner of automatic weapons; (h) genius-level high-school dropout; (i) person who has no TV set in the house; (j) atheist/agnostic; or (k) follower of the Atkins low-carb diet.

  10. Did I mention, I just don't have the time??!


Well. I've got to sit and ponder this one a while. Though not until Monday, which happens to be my day off.

Oh, as for the title of my blog ("my blog"?! chills run up my spine at those words)... Let the Finder Beware was the title of the original, shorter version of James Blish's amazing science-fiction novel, Jack of Eagles. Somewhere along the line, it became part of my unofficial intellectual motto, "Think for yourself, and let the finder beware!"

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to go and pretend (at least until Monday) that I still have no blog...

2 Comments:

Blogger Caltechgirl said...

Heh heh heh. Ironically, you _can_ post anonymously on my blog.....

You're my first corruptee, and will be added to a place of honor on my blogroll :)

It _is_ like heroin. I held out for several months before succumbing just before Halloween, myself.

You have been assimilated.

Monday, November 15, 2004 11:29:00 AM  
Blogger Ara said...

(a) Libertarian; (b) Randian Objectivist; (c) vegetarian; (d) gay/lesbian; (e) Kevorkian right-to-die-er; (f) neo-pagan; (g) owner of automatic weapons; (h) genius-level high-school dropout; (i) person who has no TV set in the house; (j) atheist/agnostic; or (k) follower of the Atkins low-carb diet.Ding ding ding! We have a winner -- I am also none of the above...

...Although I did meet Dr. Kevorkian once. He's actually a very charming gentleman.

I'm just saying.

P.S. Welcome to Blogtown.

Monday, November 15, 2004 12:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home