Thursday, April 21, 2005

Which Browser Do You Use?

I'm fascinated to see from my blog stats that only about four out of every seven of my visitors use Internet Explorer.

To be more precise, we're talking 57.0% Internet Explorer; 31.3% Gecko-based browsers; 7.2% Opera; 3.1% other browsers; and 1.4% older versions of Netscape. Or if you want a more detailed breakdown:

51.9%.... Internet Explorer 6
20.5%.... Firefox 1.x
 7.0%.... Opera 7
 6.2%.... Firefox 0.x
 3.0%.... Mozilla 1.x
 2.8%.... Internet Explorer 5
 2.8%.... Safari
 2.1%.... AOL 9
 1.6%.... Netscape 7
 1.1%.... Netscape 4
 0.3%.... Netscape 3
 0.3%.... Konqueror
 0.1%.... Opera 8

And Opera 6, AOL 8, Other/Unknown, AOL 6, and AOL 5, less than 0.1% each.

Not exactly typical of Internet users as a whole, where Internet Explorer use just recently dropped below 90% for the first time in years.

While we're at it, operating systems used by my visitors are Windows, 89.6%; Linux, 4.5%; Mac OS X, 3.5%; Other/Unknown, 1.4%; Other Macintosh, 0.7%; SunOS, 0.15%; and a single user of FreeBSD. Of course, XP accounts for about three-quarters of the Windows users, with most of the remainder evenly divided between Windows 2000 and Windows 98.

Standard Disclaimer: I myself am a long-time Opera user, and am running under Linux— Mandrake 10.1, to be precise.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Caltechgirl said...

Not a surprise that you get a disproportionate increase in FF. After all, bloggers are a big reason that it has spread so far. In fact, most of the time I can tell if someone I know offline is a blogger/lurker based on whether they use IE or FF...

Thursday, April 21, 2005 9:43:00 AM  
Blogger Caltechgirl said...

Not a surprise that you get a disproportionate increase in FF. After all, bloggers are a big reason that it has spread so far. In fact, most of the time I can tell if someone I know offline is a blogger/lurker based on whether they use IE or FF...

Thursday, April 21, 2005 9:45:00 AM  
Blogger Paul Burgess said...

Yes, I sort of expected to find that Firefox is more widely used in the blogosphere than on the Web at large. Though I'm surprised to find that over a quarter of my visitors are using Firefox.

I'm one of those odd people who's never used Internet Explorer, except when I absolutely had to. When I first got online, back in January 1998 (in those days, through university or public library terminals), I used Netscape. And once I got my own Internet connection at home, a year and a half later, I stayed with Netscape 4. Then in May of 2001 my brother converted me to Opera (in those days, it was Opera 5.11) and I've stuck with Opera ever since.

My own guess is, Firefox is going to keep on gaining mindshare and market share.

Thursday, April 21, 2005 11:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure I'm using IE and my husband is using FF. Generally, I like the least amount of change possible to happen to my PC.

After he melted my hard-drive during a "surprise" upgrade while I was visiting my parents (trying to give him a break to study for comps) (and then there was the time several years later that he simply broke my hard-drive into two pieces while moving it to a new computer), he just tends to leave me to my own non-optimal system preferences.

Thursday, April 21, 2005 11:59:00 AM  
Blogger Paul Burgess said...

Lucy, yeah, there's a great deal to be said for keeping other people away from your computer!

I've got a very nice laptop computer— an IBM ThinkPad— and I don't know why it is, but I just know that any time other people are around my computer, it's a sure bet that someone will jab their finger full force right into the delicate liquid crystal screen.

This has happened so many times, I've lost count. I've found it does no good to warn people that the screen is delicate and mustn't be touched, someone will jab their finger into the screen in a fit of absent-mindedness nonetheless...

Thursday, April 21, 2005 9:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would expect that the sniffer script sees Safari as Firefox, assuming that it just looks for "Gecko" in the UA string.

Sunday, April 24, 2005 8:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home