Friday, September 30, 2005

The Return of a Cold

Last week— oh, like a week ago today— I came down with a cold. Not as severe as some colds I've had, but it was the usual sneezing, eyes watering, sneezing, and nose running like a faucet. As I grow older, I find that my colds hang on longer and longer, and so I was surprised when the cold seemed largely to be passing over by Sunday.

And indeed so it seemed. Until yesterday. Return of the cough. Hacking, hacking. Coughing up phlegm. This is not what I need, especially with this weekend looming up, and our big 125th anniversary celebration here at St. John's.

Then I remembered something the brother-in-law of a friend of mine had recommended to me, back many years ago. "Try blackberry brandy for a cold," he said.

Now, I've never had blackberry brandy before. But this little item of information dislodged itself from my memory and, since I was running out to get some things yesterday, I decided to give it a try. Picked up a bottle of blackberry brandy, brought it home. And what do you know, it works!

I discover that blackberry brandy actually tastes like cough medicine. It does apparently relieve the symptoms of a cold. In fact, it even smells like cough medicine, or like cough medicine would smell if cough medicine smelled like anything.

Note: This blog post does not constitute medical advice, or recommendations amounting to medical advice. Always consult a physician. Do not drink and drive, or operate heavy machinery while under the influence. Ask your doctor if blackberry brandy is right for you. Not to be taken within 24 hours of piloting an airliner. The proprietorship of this blog cannot be held responsible for consequences arising from the use or misuse of its contents. Don't lawsuit us! Enjoy in moderation. To the fullest extent permitted by law we disclaim all warranties of any kind (express, implied or otherwise) regarding this blog or its content, including but not limited to any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. We make no warranty about the accuracy, reliability, completeness, timeliness, sufficiency or quality of this blog or its content. Don't lawsuit us!

2 Comments:

Blogger Caltechgirl said...

in my house, blackberry brandy's medicinal qualities are extolled for their effect on, ummm, certain digestive properties..... Hope that wasn't a side-effect of the cold cure :)

Friday, September 30, 2005 1:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grandfather swore that blackberry juice (as opposed to brandy since he was a tee-totalling Southern baptist) would fix any stomach problem.

Personally, I'm all about the blackberry cobbler!

Friday, September 30, 2005 7:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home