Monday, December 26, 2005

Meme of Fours

Well, I'm on vacation over here in Madison, and I'm going to take my folks out today to see the Narnia movie. And I discover that IB Bill has tagged me with the Meme of Fours. So here we go:

Four jobs you've had in your life: Teaching assistant in a university math department; Manual brightstacker in a canning factory; Wholesale sports merchandise; Presbyterian minister.

Four movies you could watch over and over: The Matrix; Kill Bill, Vol. I; Waterworld (Seriously! And besides, Jeanne Tripplehorn is hot); Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin.

Four places you've lived: Madison, Wisconsin; Cook, Washington; Durham, North Carolina; Mendota, Illinois.

Four TV shows you love to watch: The X-Files; American Gothic; Twin Peaks; Millennium.

Four places you've been on vacation: San Diego; northern Wisconsin; Seattle; Madison (this very moment).

Four websites you visit daily: Dean Esmay; Slashdot; OSNews; Weather Underground.

Four of your favorite foods: Pizza; Hamburger; French fries; Vanilla malt.

Four places you'd rather be: Portland, Oregon; State Street in Madison; Franklin Street in Chapel Hill; Wheatland Ridge.

Four albums you can't live without: Yes, Fragile; The Beatles, the White Album; Simon & Garfunkel, Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme; The Chills, Submarine Bells.

And I tag Casey Tompkins, over at The Gantry Launchpad.

4 Comments:

Blogger The Tetrast said...

Say, did you know the Hartshornes (Richard & Lois, or second wife Donna) in Madison? He was my maternal grandfather, and was a professor of geography at the university there.

Monday, December 26, 2005 11:59:00 AM  
Blogger Paul Burgess said...

Afraid not. When I was in math at the University of Wisconsin (undergrad & graduate school) I never took any geography courses, and mostly hung out with people who were in math, physics, and engineering.

As a matter of fact, I often used to walk by the geography department, located in Science Hall, as it was about halfway between the math building and my apartment down on Langdon Street— but on a campus of 45,000 students, there was a great deal going on that I was unaware of.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 7:01:00 AM  
Blogger Paul Burgess said...

By the way, Richard Hartshorne... would that perchance be any relation to the philosopher Charles Hartshorne?

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 7:57:00 AM  
Blogger The Tetrast said...

Yes, Richard was the youngest brother. I forget which-manieth Charles was. I met Charles was during the weekend of my grandfather's funeral service in Madison. Very nice fellow, though his politics, like those of much of my family, were unsound, he was all for Gore. He certainly looked like my grandfather. Charles had lost his vocal chords and spoke in a falsetto. Among me, my father, and Charles, there ended up being quite a bit of talk about philosophy, quantum physics, etc., over the weekend, and some of it worked its way into Charles' speech at the funeral service. Charles and I ganged up, and my father finally that weekend accepted that the world is not deterministic. If only my grandfather (my father's father-in-law) had lived to see that! He would have been so pleased.

Tuesday, December 27, 2005 4:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home