Saturday, September 30, 2006

New State Quarters

I was all set to write about how I haven't seen any new state quarters lately. Not since Nebraska.

Then last night someone was showing me a new North Dakota state quarter. There was general agreement that the scene on the back, from the position of the sun and the butte in it, was facing west, and probably in late fall, November or thereabouts.

I've noticed that the farther the state quarter series has gone, the more slowly new quarters have gotten into wide circulation, and the fewer of them I've seen, even after quite a while. As if collectors are more and more glomming onto them. I mean, I never have seen many California or Oregon quarters.

And I must confess, I've never entirely gotten over the last-minute replacement of what would have been a great state quarter design from my home state of Wisconsin.

wisconsin state quarter
Above: The Wisconsin state quarter that wasn't.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Tetrast said...

The word "Tetrachomania," fortunately, is tottering ready to be defined to denote the passion, rife among sale clerks and many others in the U.S.A., the one for the 25-cent piece. (That serves my interests, for it will be one less name available for psychiatrists to provide for the rare craze for tetrachotomies.) Mwah-hah-hah! etc. Tetrachomania rules you all. Soon it will be you all!

Saturday, September 30, 2006 11:15:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you telling me that there is now California state quarters? Damn, I live in California, and I havent even
SEEN a quarter with our state on it. If you could find one, please send it my way (email CTG and I will get you our address... I would be happy just to see what one looks like...
:)

Saturday, September 30, 2006 5:46:00 PM  
Blogger Paul Burgess said...

GMT: I put a California state quarter in the mail to you yesterday. :)

Tuesday, October 03, 2006 10:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home