Saturday, November 18, 2006

Royal Crown Cola

Ron Coleman had an interesting post at Dean's World the other day on RC Cola, alias Royal Crown Cola, which is one of his favorites and also one of mine. I first got into RC in a big way when I was living in Dubuque, in the early 1980s.

Though RC was also available when I was a kid in the 1960s, growing up in a small town in southern Wisconsin. We used to get our pop at Milo's neighborhood grocery store, and I would save the bottlecaps. I still have my old childhood bottlecap collection, and it gives you a pretty good idea what brands were available in my neck of the woods back in those days: Coke. Pepsi. RC Cola. Home-Ade Cola. Double Cola. Patio Diet Cola. Cola. Nehi Root Beer. Hires Root Beer. Dad's Root Beer. Mason's Root Beer. Bon-Ton Root Beer. Fauerbach Root Beer. Root Beer. Mason's Strawberry Soda. Nehi Strawberry Soda. Fauerbach Strawberry Soda. Strawberry Soda. Mason's Orange Soda. Sun-Rise Orange Soda. Fanta Imitation Orange Soda. Nesbitt's Orange Soda. Graf's Orange Soda. Orange Soda. Nehi Grape Soda. Sun-Rise Grape Soda. White Soda. Black Cherry Soda. Cherry Soda. Black Cherry Blossoms Soda. 7-Up. Ski. 50|50. Cheer Up. Upper 10. Bubble-Up. Sprite. Fresca. Canada Dry Ginger Ale. Bon-Ton Ginger Ale. Roxo Ginger Ale. Par-T-Pak Pale Dry Ginger Ale. Mountain Dew (with a hillbilly— "Yahoo! Mountain Dew! It's goo-ood!").

There's one other brand that bothers me, because I can't remember if it ever actually existed, or if it's just something I had a dream about, many years ago. It was a creme soda called Canadian Creme. Clear glass bottle, with a scene on it of ducks flying over a cat-tail marsh. And both scene and brand name were printed on the bottle in a mirror-reflective gold. I wonder if I dreamed that one.

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul Burgess said...

I've got Double Cola bottlecaps in my old collection, but somehow I don't remember the brand apart from that. I do have a Double Cola bottle in my pop bottle collection, which I have standing these days out in my kitchen; and also an old 1940s Double Cola advertising poster framed and hanging in my living room.

I haven't seen Fanta in many, many years. Fauerbach was a local brand, bottled in Madison, Wisconsin— there was also a Fauerbach brewery up into the 60s.

I don't think anyone in our family except for my mom would ever have drunk the Fresca. I remember Teem as a brand, but I don't think we ever bought any.

I do recall the RC from my childhood in the 60s, though like I say, I didn't get into RC in a big way until years later, into the early 80s. In the corner of the Midwest where I live now, RC Cola is readily available in supermarkets, right alongside Coke and Pepsi; though usually not in stores which have more limited shelf space for pop.

I also do remember Squirt, and am surprised it doesn't show up in my list. Ought to go back and doublecheck my bottlecap collection, I'd almost suspect there must be some Squirt bottlecaps in there.

Saturday, November 18, 2006 10:08:00 AM  
Blogger The Tetrast said...

Sounds like they didn't have Dr. Brown's in Wisconsin. Many flavors. You haven't lived until you've drunk Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray Soda.

Saturday, November 18, 2006 8:54:00 PM  
Blogger The Tetrast said...

I had little luck in searching on "Canadian creme soda" but a bit more luck with "Canadian cream soda," though still not quite enough luck.
Google search on "Canadian cream" soda
People talking about some wonderful clear Canadian cream soda:
http://gagknee.blogspot.com/2006/07/cream-of-crop.html

Saturday, November 18, 2006 9:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home