Thursday, August 16, 2007

Lewis & Clark Corps of Discovery Blanket

blanket
I got home from vacation late yesterday afternoon, and here at last is a picture of that wool blanket I ordered and received while on vacation.

See, while I was over in Wisconsin at my folks' place on vacation, my mom got a catalog in the mail, no idea how she got on their mailing list. Some Monticello catalog, everything having to do with Thomas Jefferson. That of course includes the Lewis & Clark expedition, and they had in the catalog several Lewis & Clark items, including this 100% wool blanket.

Well, I'd been looking for a new blanket for the wicker sofa in my living room— when I just flop out and crash there, don't you know— the blanket I've had on the sofa is some old ratty threadbare army blanket. When I saw this Lewis & Clark blanket, I knew it was just what I'd been looking for. The catalog said it was made by Pendleton, so I went online, found it even cheaper at the Pendleton website, and ordered it over my folks' computer. Several days later UPS delivered it, and I got to test drive that blanket, so to speak, the final week of vacation.

Very handsome and yet at the same time a marvel of simplicity. Heavy wool blanket. Off-white, says Pendleton; I'd say more like a light tan, or perhaps "camel" is the color-name I'm reaching for. Indigo stripe on each end of the blanket. Three "points" on one edge of the blanket, indicating size and trade value. Edges rough and unfinished, as was customary on blankets in those days. This is the kind of blanket which was widely sold and traded in North America by the Hudson's Bay Company and other outfits.

And you know me, I have a thing about wool blankets and all things woolen. There's something about wool which is honest, simple, natural, organic. Wool is just hippy-dippy back-to-nature. I use wool blankets even in the summertime.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger The Tetrast said...

Lewis & Clark -- Lois & Clark! That's got to be how they came up with those names. I've long guessed that "Lois Lane" is a pun on "lowest lane," but how would they have landed on "Lois" in the first place? Now I see it, as clearly as I can see that the "J." in "J. Jonah Jameson" surely, inevitably, must stand for "Jeremiah." (As for Peter Parker's name, that's an obvious one.)

Since you've helped occasion one of them, I thought I should share these profound insights with you.

Thursday, August 16, 2007 7:32:00 PM  
Blogger Paul Burgess said...

Now if only I could discover the cipher under which "Sacajawea" decrypts to "Jimmy Olsen"...

Thursday, August 16, 2007 8:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home