Monday, November 15, 2004

Royal Crown Rules

When it comes to cola, I'm one of those oddballs.

Coke or Pepsi? Neither, please: I much prefer RC Cola. Or as I persist in sometimes calling it, Royal Crown Cola.

I first really got into RC back when I was living in Dubuque. We're talking the fall of 1982 or thereabouts. And I've been drinking it ever since.

When I was a kid, Milo's neighborhood grocery store in my home town in Wisconsin used to carry all sorts of pop. Coke. Pepsi. RC Cola. Home-Ade Cola. Double Cola. Patio Diet Cola. Cola. Nehi Root Beer. Hires Root Beer. Dad's Root Beer. Mason's Root Beer. Bon-Ton Root Beer. Fauerbach Root Beer. Root Beer. Mason's Strawberry Soda. Nehi Strawberry Soda. Fauerbach Strawberry Soda. Strawberry Soda. Mason's Orange Soda. Sun-Rise Orange Soda. Fanta Imitation Orange Soda. Nesbitt's Orange Soda. Graf's Orange Soda. Orange Soda. Nehi Grape Soda. Sun-Rise Grape Soda. White Soda. Black Cherry Soda. Cherry Soda. Black Cherry Blossoms Soda. 7-Up. Ski. 50|50. Cheer Up. Upper 10. Bubble-Up. Sprite. Fresca. Canada Dry Ginger Ale. Bon-Ton Ginger Ale. Roxo Ginger Ale. Par-T-Pak Pale Dry Ginger Ale. Mountain Dew (with a hillbilly— "Yahoo! Mountain Dew! It's goo-ood!"). I'm reading most of these names off my old bottlecap collection, which I still have.

But there's one brand that bothers me, because I can't remember if it ever actually existed, or if it's just something I had a dream about, many years ago. It was a creme soda called Canadian Creme. Clear glass bottle, with a scene on it of ducks flying over a cat-tail marsh. And both scene and brand name were printed on the bottle in a mirror-reflective gold. I wonder if I dreamed that one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dean Esmay said...

I call it Royal Crown Cola too. Doesn't it still say that on the bottles in small print?

Growing up in Chicago, most of the pizza joints sold RC instead of Coke or Pepsi. For some of us it reached the point where pizza did not taste right unless eaten with RC cola. Seriously. The odd part being, most of us ONLY drank it with pizza, and almost never with anything else.

Monday, November 15, 2004 7:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home