Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Gopherspace

I guess I must be something of an antiquarian. Because I find myself fascinated with gopherspace.

Gopherspace, in case you hadn't heard of it, dates from the Silurian era of the Internet, back when trilobytes and nautiloids roamed the cyberseas. Check it out— gopherspace may look primitive, but it's actually rather cool.

Unfortunately, the University of Minnesota Master Gopher is no longer with us. But you can still embark into gopherspace from the Floodgap Systems' official gopher server.

Other interesting places in gopherspace include The Well, gopher://quux.org, and gopher://freeshell.org. Warning: some browsers, including Internet Explorer 6, are unable to access gopherspace. If you'd like to bypass this limitation, either you can get on the good side of the administrator of a caching proxy server (as I did), or else you can get into gopherspace via the Floodgap Public Gopher Proxy.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Caltechgirl said...

I had forgotten about gopher. It requires a black and white linux shell to look right :)

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 4:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still use gopher, too. I even have written some gopher clients softwares and a gopher server software, too. I have even written a gopher client entirely in bash shell script.

Also, there is a simple and easy way to download files from gopher using the Windows or Linux command line. Try the following command, for example:

echo images/03Water_on_mars.jpg | nc zzo38computer.cjb.net 70 > Water_on_mars.jpg

Saturday, January 30, 2010 1:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home