Saturday, May 21, 2005

What a Body Isn't Obliged to Do

I think it was Mark Twain who said that work is what a body is obliged to do, and play is what a body is not obliged to do. By that yardstick, I definitely have not been working this past week while I've been on vacation.

Out to the restaurant with family. Puttering around. Just plain laying around. (In my dialect of Midwestern American English, if you please, that's "laying around" and not "lying around.") Today I'm not really planning to do much of anything. Just vegetate. Likewise tomorrow morning. Tomorrow afternoon I'll be heading home: one of our high school seniors at St. John's has a graduation party Sunday evening, and I want to be there.

Then Monday is my day off, so I can ease gradually back into the pace of everyday life. Tuesday I get back to what I'm obliged to do.

But for the time being, I'm just floating and drifting. And not obliged to do a thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home