Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Rutabagas

Eh, I'm rushing around here on a busy day before Thanksgiving... Oh yeah, rutabagas!

The other day someone kindly gave me a couple of rutabagas out of their garden. Now, I must confess that I've never had rutabagas before. So last night I fished around via Google, and simplified even further a recipe I found on some site out there.

Very simple. I scrubbed the rutabaga. I sliced off the outside of it with my trusty blackened-iron-blade kitchen knife. I chopped and diced the inside of the rutabaga. Put the pieces in a pan on the stove, well covered with water, added more salt than recommended... well, okay, not quite half a teaspoon full. Put the lid on the pan, brought the water to a boil, reduced the heat to medium, and let it bubble away for 12 minutes. (Next time I might let it go a little longer.) Drained the water, mashed up the rutabaga pieces with a fork. Added a teaspoon of olive oil, mashed some more. Scooped out onto a plate, added salt and pepper to taste.

And it was quite good. That, from someone who's usually not too much into veggies.

I really ought to do more of my own home cooking, if only I could find the time. Instead of just emptying a can into a bowl and popping it in the microwave. I'm not much of a cook, you know. Though I do have a number of recipes stored away in my head, and some of them are pretty good. If only I could find, or make, the time!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy Paul,
yea, cooking is fun, but it can be daunting. If you get too many pans in the fire, literally, you can be overdoing some and undercooking some others. It gets to be a balancing act. I very ahppy with Mary taking care of all that for me. Stop by again so I can show off her cooking some more, eh?
DAavid

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 9:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are few veggies that can't be served "boiled, salted, buttered".

For example: lettuce and cucumbers. Those would be gross. But others are generally yummy :)

Thursday, November 23, 2006 12:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home