Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Splendiferous Rain Gauge

rain gauge
Hey, check out my new rain gauge! How's that for a rain gauge guaranteed to strike fear into the heart of man and beast alike?!

Actually this all got started when I set up my first rain gauge this year late spring, early summer. And someone ran over it and cracked it to smithereens. So I went to the hardware store and got another rain gauge, and set it up in the same spot, with a guardian bird-on-a-wire alongside.

Then I went away on vacation for a couple of weeks, just got home a few days ago. And what should I find but that rain gauge number two had also been run over and cracked into three or four pieces?! Plastic remnants and wooden stake had been carefully laid on my driveway next to the garage, a good ten feet away from where they'd been run over.

So I went back to the hardware store and got what I needed. And yesterday evening I went out and set up the third rain gauge of the year, as pictured above.

Bee-HOLD the splendiferous rain gauge, in tasteful designer shades of translucent yellow plastic.

Bee-HOLD the wooden stake, hand cut to be eight inches taller than the old wooden stake. Nail driven into stake to hang rain gauge on, offending sharp end of nail protruding out the backside of the stake carefully removed via hacksaw.

Bee-HOLD the surroundingly brilliant white wire fence, giving ample visual warning to one and all.

And Bee-HOLD the mystic guardian birds-on-a-wire. Guardian Cardinal to the left. Guardian Redwing Blackbird to the right. (Or maybe that's a Guardian Baltimore Oriole, I'm not particular.)

Now, that is one wicked rain gauge! If it's possible for a rain gauge to have mojo, this is it!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you REALLY need is a big pink flamingo!

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 9:11:00 AM  
Blogger Caltechgirl said...

I myself was thinking that the birds COULD be a tad more flashy, especially for such a hip biker dude as yourself ;)

Wednesday, August 31, 2005 11:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Lucy...........a pink flamingo is a prenant idea!

Friday, February 24, 2006 7:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home