Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Some of My Favorite Songs

Truth is, I'm one of the least musical people you'll ever meet. As I sometimes put it, I'm about as musical as a fencepost.

Nonetheless, there are certain songs that are favorites of mine. I was formed in my musical tastes from the mid 60s on up through the early-to-mid 80s. Here's my list, not of the best rock songs, probably, but just a few of my favorites. In no particular order. A lot of this became favorite music for me simply because I was young, and I was there, and there it was:
  1. Incense and Peppermints, Strawberry Alarm Clock
  2. White Rabbit, Jefferson Airplane
  3. Jackie Blue (long version), Ozark Mountain Daredevils (gee, is that rock? well, I don't care :)
  4. Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary (definitely not rock— but it was the music for the opening credits of A Clockwork Orange)
  5. Journey to the Center of the Mind, Amboy Dukes
  6. Paint It Black, The Rolling Stones
  7. Mighty Quinn, Manfred Mann
  8. Venus, Shocking Blue
  9. Back in the USSR, The Beatles
  10. Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In, The 5th Dimension
  11. There Is a Mountain, Donovan
  12. Flowers Never Bend with the Rainfall, Simon & Garfunkel
  13. Midnight Confessions, Grass Roots
  14. The House of the Rising Sun, The Animals
  15. You're So Vain, Carly Simon
  16. I Am the Walrus, The Beatles
  17. Mellow Yellow, Donovan
  18. I Am a Rock, Simon & Garfunkel
  19. Fragile, Yes— the entire damn album, from beginning to end
  20. Waterloo, ABBA
  21. Hooked on a Feeling, Blue Swede
  22. I'm on Fire, 5000 Volts
  23. Brandy, Looking Glass
  24. Rikki Don't Lose That Number, Steely Dan
  25. Shambala, Three Dog Night
  26. Ebony Eyes, Bob Welch
  27. Rhiannon, Fleetwood Mac
  28. Bungle in the Jungle, Jethro Tull
  29. Electric Guitar, Talking Heads; also, off the same Fear of Music album:
  30. Heaven and
  31. Paper
  32. Seen and Not Seen, Talking Heads
  33. Reeling in the Years, Steely Dan
  34. Dust in the Wind, Kansas
  35. The Other Side of Life, The Moody Blues
  36. Oliver's Army, Elvis Costello
  37. When Doves Cry, Prince
  38. I Want to Know What Love Is, Foreigner
  39. Fingers on a Windmill, Damnation
  40. Revolution 9, The Beatles (yeah, well, I'm weird)
Remember, when you read that list, you've got to think of a boy in a small town up north of Madison, Wisconsin, listening to the Madison rock stations on his Aircastle AM/FM/SW radio. I remember when The Age of Aquarius was at the top of the charts: I was just finishing seventh grade. May 1969. Yes, it was the Sixties. That was a different world back in those days.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I think it's a pretty good list!

Tuesday, October 11, 2005 8:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home