Monday, November 27, 2006

Exercise

When I was over to visit my folks for Thanksgiving, they sent an early Christmas present back with me: an exercise bicycle. A recumbent exercise bike. Thing is heavy as all get-out, I had to recruit some fellows after church on Sunday to carry the box into my house and upstairs. And it took me a while yesterday to get the bike unpacked and assembled: "Some assembly required" would be an understatement! But the bike is now up and running, and it runs very nicely indeed. Computerized workout programs and whatnot.

Let's hope I can stick with using this thing. I sure could stand to lose 60 pounds or more in these latter days.

I can remember back in high school, my days in cross-country. I'd go out running along country roads, at a good brisk pace. Six or seven miles and I wouldn't even be breathing hard. I could've kept it up indefinitely.

In my early 20s, I'd go out jogging every morning, jogging along the Lakeshore path and across campus at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I'd jog a few miles, then finish with a sprint down Bascom Hill and across the State Street Mall. Then read the newspaper at Memorial Library before returning to my apartment right across the street.

In my early 30s, I was sort of giving up on the jogging, but I still did a lot of walking. Lived a 20-minute walk from the campus of Duke University, and often walked to campus and back, sometimes a couple of times a day.

In my early 40s, mired in the world of wholesale sports merchandise, I did warehouse work day by day, and was generally at a good weight and in good shape.

Now at age 50... well, I do go walking once in a while. Once in a great while. But I don't go walking nearly like I should. And with winter drawing near, I'm sure not going to be getting out more than I have been.

So I sure do hope I can get in the habit of using this exercise bike. And stick with it. Stick with it, lose weight, and all.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Recently I've been trying one thing out of the PerriconePromise (because I'm just not willing to leap into it whole-heartedly).

A study showed (paraphrased) that the group that added two cups of yogurt to their otherwise bleak diet lost twice as much weight as the control-group AND all the extra-weight came off their tummies. Just a thought if you "shake like a bowl full of jelly" when you "ho-ho-ho". Which I do. Although maybe not for much longer. :)

Monday, November 27, 2006 1:16:00 PM  
Blogger Paul Burgess said...

Lucy, you've motivated me to give the yogurt a try. I ran down to Waukon for groceries today— really shouldn't have ventured out, pea soup fog here all day, but I was just about out of everything— and got I don't know how many cups of yogurt. It was about time to shake up my breakfast menu again, anyhow.

Extra weight off my tummy would be just the ticket. Odd but true fact: virtually all my excess weight is in that spare tire around my stomach. My arms, legs, chest, and head look like the body parts of a person of average weight. What with my grey beard, I would indeed be convincing in a Santa outfit. :-)

If I could go from a 46 waist to a 36, I would be back to where I was as recently as eight years ago. Sedentary life, plus the fact that in the pastorate it's hard to get away with not regularly overeating...

Monday, November 27, 2006 6:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone that detests yogurt, I find it manageable in the morning if I mix two cups of yogurt with two cups of fruit.

I've been doing it for about 8 or 9 days. Its seems to be working. Working enough that friends noticed and promptly descended on Walmart like locusts and bought up all the plain non-sugary yogurt!

Working well enough that it prompted my husband, who (God bless him) NEVER ever jumps on the food-idea-of-the-week, to leave work today and find me a week's supply of yogurt.

Good Luck.

Monday, November 27, 2006 10:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home