Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Subzero

It's 2 below zero this morning. Yesterday evening I was down in Waukon at a basketball game, and on the way back the thermometer in my Jeep was already reading 5°, 4°, 3°. Oh well. Another month, and we'll be past the subzero weather.

Speaking of subzero, could there be such a thing as a subzero IQ? 'Cause yesterday at that basketball game, I saw what looked like a two-year-old playing with a laser pointer. There he sat on his mother's lap, pointing the damn thing this way, that way, every which way, the red dot skipping here and there in the bleachers, while doting mom smiled like "Isn't that cute?" Then big brother, who must've been all of nine or ten, took the laser pointer and amused himself by bouncing the red dot around all over on little brother's face. Oh, isn't that a riot? Meanwhile, I was hoping and praying that the red dot wouldn't flash my way; or that, if it did, I'd be able to close my eyes in time.

A mother letting her two-year-old play with a freaking laser pointer?! I know that doesn't quite qualify for the Darwin Award, but it's edging up there. Honorable mention, maybe? I must admit, it's little things like this that make me despair some days for the future of Western civilization.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home