Saturday, June 30, 2007

Yay! Lions Fourth of July Event!

I was in town this afternoon, helping to set up for our big Lions Fourth of July Family Fun Fest on July 3 and 4. We opened up the two food stands, and took things that were in storage and set them outside so the Fire Department can come and hose the stands down. Then we stood around afterwards drinking Busch Light. More setup to come these next few days.

Our local Lions Club sponsors the event, and the entire community pitches in. I've been saying we draw 10,000 people to a town of just over 200, but the chairman of the food committee was telling us this afternoon that he thought last year the crowd was closer to 15,000.

Coming up on the Third and Fourth: NTPA sanctioned tractor pull. Beer tent. Food stands with plenty of good food. Softball tournament. Demolition derbies. Volleyball. Flea market. Fourth of July parade. Bands performing. Raffle, with an Arctic Cat Prowler XT ATV for first prize. And more! Plus of course a big fireworks show after dark on the Fourth.

This is the Fourth of July here in the American heartland. It's a lot of work. But it's also a lot of fun.

2 Comments:

Blogger Caltechgirl said...

I swear, I am going to come one of these years. It sounds like fun.

Saturday, June 30, 2007 10:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your posts this time of year scare the life out of my husband! For the first time, I'm living somewhere that doesn't have a July Fourth parade. Even though we've been here a couple of years, it hits me hard every year.

And then I read your posts, and my eyes get squinty, and I start asking my husband questions like "Hmmm. Wonder how hard it is to get a parade permit? And how exactly do you set about "doing" a parade? Wonder if the other parade committees need volunteers, where I could learn stuff? Hmmm. PAUL gets to have a parade, why can't I have a parade?"

That kind of thinking makes my husband ... nervous. Last year he promised to take me on a weekend-away to some relatively close small town with a parade and festivities this year if I'd quit thinking about starting a parade. BUT he's in Greece for two weeks (leaving me with a house full of guests) so looks like I'll be punishing him by organizing the garage on the 4th.

He'll love it. Eventually. Its just the first glimpse that shocks his system on so very many of my little projects :)

Monday, July 02, 2007 6:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home