Monday, May 02, 2005

The Internet, Like Greased Lightning!

Well, after all these years of suffering with a dial-up connection, I just got DSL this morning. And suddenly my Internet connection is fast fast FAST!!!

Out here far into the Iowa countryside, DSL became available a few months ago. For some reason I dawdled around, though, until a week ago Sunday I was visiting some friends around here who've got DSL now. I tested it out. I brought along my IBM ThinkPad, hooked it up to their connection, and it just worked. It worked beautifully! That was when I knew I had to get DSL for myself. I phoned our friendly neighborhood Internet Service Provider on Wednesday to sign up. We set up an appointment. And this morning Mister Service Man appeared at my door, and he quickly got everything hooked up.

Now websites that used to take forever to load, come up in a second or two. Websites that used to come up in a reasonable length of time, come up instantly. I can listen to audio over the Internet while websurfing— under dial-up, it was always either one or the other, but not both at once. Everything is fast. Everything is faster. It's like the Internet on rollerblades!!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to spend the rest of the day playing around on my computer, like a kid with a new toy...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! My husband switched us to dial-up from DSL because dial-up was free through his new office. "Free" cost him mightily after it dawned on me that he could surf at work while I couldn't get the HannaAndersson page to load during the big annual sale. We re-aquired DSL shortly thereafter. He'd rather pay than be my shopping-proxy!

Monday, May 02, 2005 11:38:00 AM  
Blogger Mr. E said...

Congrats! I can remember what it was like when I was where you are now, about 5 years ago.

Friday, May 06, 2005 11:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home